Please see below the format for the upcoming Year 12 Discovery Day to be held at the University of Canterbury on Tuesday April 11th. This is a fantastic opportunity for those students considering going to university when they leave school to get an insight into what university life is really like. I have informed all students in Yr12 of this opportunity and would strongly encourage those students interested in university as a future pathway to attend this day.
The cost of a student attending university is continually rising. CBHS students thinking of going to the University of Otago, Victoria University, and the University of Auckland etc. face a cost of $20 – $25,000 per year. Approx. $10,000 per year at UC. Figures indicate that approx. 25% of 1st year students fail papers and a large number of students change their mind and change courses. This can extend the time it takes to complete a degree and consequently dramatically increase the cost of the qualification. Opportunities like the UC Yr12 Discovery Day are a great way to assist our students make informed decisions about their future pathway.
Year 12 Discovery Day at the University of Canterbury.
Date: Tuesday 12 April
Time: 9.30am to 2.00pm – students involved will not attend school on this day.
Venue: University of Canterbury, Ilam Campus, starting in the Clyde car park (view map).
This new event gives Year 12 students the chance to experience what it’s like to be a university student. The event is structured just like a real university day, following an individual timetable that the students select. UC is hosting the event but the information presented to students will be very generic and relevant to universities around the country. Students who may not be considering studying at UC but are keen on a university pathway are encouraged to attend.
•take part in taster lectures
•discover the differences between school and university
•learn why university study is valuable
•explore the campus
•find out about student services, including those for Māori and Pasifika
•try a student lunch on a budget – $5 voucher
Steps to register for this event:
– CLICK HERE to find more information about the day.
– Please discuss this opportunity with your son and if you wish for him to attend please sign the attached 2016 UC Yr12 Discovery Day Permission slip and return to the Careers staff by the 23rd March.
– Each student needs to register and pick their timetable online by Tuesday 22 March. Students can REGISTER HERE.
– Students to forward/or print out and deliver to the Careers Dept. a copy of the confirmation email sent to them from UC acknowledging the Lectures they have selected.
– Students to receive confirmation email by CBHS to indicate leave from school has been granted
– students make their own way to and from the University of Canterbury on the 12th April.
Please feel free to contact me if you require any further information.
CBHS Careers Advisor