At this time of year, you’ll be starting to think about what subjects to study at school next year.
A key tip from many experts is to choose subjects you are passionate about, because if you enjoy something you are more likely to get good at it.
Of course, sometimes you need to do something in the short term that might not be a favourite topic in order to get to where you want to be. Before you get to Year 13 it’s important to know the school subjects you need to take if you’re thinking about studying certain subjects at university.
For all subjects at university, students need to be competent in the use and understanding of written and spoken English. School subjects such as English, Classical Studies, History, Geography or Economics are useful in teaching these key skills.
Some careers and degrees have recommended pathways from school, for example some qualifications require specific achievement levels in subjects such as Physics or Calculus.
Detailed information on subjects that are useful for particular UC qualifications is available from a variety of sources:
- UC’s Undergraduate Prospectus
- Best Preparation for University Study flier – all degrees
- Best preparation by qualification – interactive online tool (scroll down on the page, click the drop down arrow on the right and choose the qualification you want to know more about)
- Pathways in Engineering – NCEA recommendations
- Engineering interactive course planner – guidance for NCEA, IB and CIE
- Best preparation flier for Science or Speech and Language Pathology degrees
- Bachelor of Fine Arts entry requirements
- UC’s series of ‘Introduction to…..’ brochures also have guidance on entry requirements for all degrees.
You might also find it helpful to watch this short Pathways for Year 12 video featuring tips and advice from current UC students.
If you know what you enjoy, but aren’t yet sure what you might want to do after secondary school, these resources can help you identify options:
- What subject do you enjoy fliers
- Use the interactive online tool
(scroll down the page, click the drop down arrow on the right and choose the subject you enjoy)
Making wise subject choices now, can make achieving your goals in the future easier, so please contact us if you have any questions or want some advice.
UC Liaison Team | Te Rōpū Takawaenga